This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9757 / 54°58'32"N
Longitude: -4.5246 / 4°31'28"W
OS Eastings: 238517
OS Northings: 567485
OS Grid: NX385674
Mapcode National: GBR 4F.XNHR
Mapcode Global: WH3TD.G6NC
Plus Code: 9C6QXFGG+75
Entry Name: All Saints Episcopal Church, Challoch
Listing Name: Challoch, All Saints Episcopal Church with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 30 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353487
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19190
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
W G Habershon and A R Pite, London, Newport and Monmouth, 1871-1872. Early English style aisleless church with chancel, vestry and 2 porches. Squared whinstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals. Base course, string and impost courses. Set-off buttresses with saw-tooth ashlar coping, dividing bays. Lancet windows. Hoodmoulds with label stops to E and W windows and N doorway. Ashlar apex detail to gables, and decorative, stone, cross finials.
NAVE: 4-bay N and S elevations with lancet windows; gabled timber porch on stone base course on S elevation in bay off-centre to left; timber mullions and transoms and cusping detail, 2-leaf boarded door, steeply pitched roof. Large, 3-light plate traceried window in W gable with trio of blind arrowslits in gablehead. Steps down to crypt.
CHANCEL: adjoined to nave at E end; large pointed arch window with plate tracery to E, blind arrowslit cross above. 2-bay return elevations, that to S with lancet in bay to left, blank bay to right. N elevation with M-gabled porch and vestry projecting (larger gable to vestry). Angle buttresses to porch at left, stone steps to pointed arch doorway to N elevation with blind cross arrowslit; paired lancets on E return. Plate traceried pointed arch window to vestry with dated ribbon carved above and crocketted, stone finial.
FLECHE BELLCOTE: leaded, pyramidal fleche by crossing, with louvred timber opening to bellcote at base and decorative foliate finial. Windows to stone porch, leaded diamond-pane, remaining stained glass (see below). Stone brackets to overhanging eaves. Red tiled roofs with fishcale bands; clay ridge ornament. Ashlar coped skews.
INTERIOR: fine original fittings retained. Cream ashlar walls, decoratively tiled aisle at centre and open timber roof to nave with nook-shafted corbels to brace, hand-turned tie-beam and queen posts; barrel-vaulted and coffered ceiling to chancel with stencil decoration and fleuron bosses. Nook-shafts flanking window embrasures. Pointed chancel arch with hoodmould. Ashlar octagonal font (1872) and pulpit with marble colonnettes. Decorative wrought-iron and brass lectern (1872), railings and chancel overthrow. Forked brass candlesticks retained in pews. Scrolled foliate wrought-iron posts to timber communion rail with gilding. Minton tiles by reredos. Triparite, gabled and cusped reredos with marble colonnettes and stencilled decoration. Bipartite pointed arch sedilia with marble nook-shafts. Organ by Harston and Son, Newark on Trent. Stained glass; Our Lady blessing children with Scottish Saints to E window; Benedicite Omnia Opera in W window by French artist. Hooded ashlar angle chimneypiece to timber-boarded vestry. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble and squared and snecked whinstone rubble walls, stepped at intervals, with saddleback red sandstone coping. Ashlar gatepiers to E corner pier to NE, with gabled caps and trefoil motif.
Listed category a for complete survival of fine furnishings. The manse is listed separately below. All Saints was commissioned as a private Chapel, by Edward J Stopford Blair of Penninghame House. The foundation stone was laid in 1871, it was consecrated 1872, and bequeathed to the Diocese in 1885. The altar ornaments were bequeathed by Sir Thomas Dick Lauder, the lectern and font by the Earl of Galloway. There is a strong similarity between details employed here and those used by Frederick Thomas Pilkington.
Other nearby listed buildings