This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9642 / 54°57'51"N
Longitude: -4.4842 / 4°29'2"W
OS Eastings: 241060
OS Northings: 566110
OS Grid: NX410661
Mapcode National: GBR 4G.YCV8
Mapcode Global: WH3TF.2HY6
Plus Code: 9C6QXG78+M8
Entry Name: Minnigaff Mill
Listing Name: Minnigaff, Millcroft Road, Minnigaff Mill
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353627
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19299
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
1823 (dated). 4-storey former corn mill. Converted to residential
use, 1992. Rubble; squared granite quoins and rybats; chequered quoins to SE angle. Smaller square windows at 3rd floor.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: approximately 4-bay (1-2-1). Modern door out-of-line to right bay to left of centre. Regularly disposed fenestration; except windows out-of-line to left at ground floor of bays to left of centre and to right, and windows out-of-line to either side at 1st floor of bay to left of cente.
S ELEVATION: window to each floor of right of centre.
W ELEVATION: (pre-conversion, 1991) 4-bay (1-2-1). Regularly disposed fenestration at 2nd and 3rd floors. 3 irregularly diposed windows at 1st floor. 5 irregularly disposed windows at ground floor. Area of rubble-faced and stugged granite in bay to left of centre, in original situation of wheel. Stone incribed "I B 1823" at ground floor in bay to right of cente.
N ELEVATION: windows to right of centre at ground, 1st and 2nd floors. Variety of small-pane glazing; some 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows, 6-pane glazing to upper floor, some tilt-and-turn. Graded grey slates to piended roof. Piend-roofed single storey former workshop range to SE; converted to residential use, 1992.
Minnigaff Mill ceased use as a meal mill circa 1900; it is marked as "disused" on the OS Map of 1907. The mill was used for storage until its conversion to 6 flats in 1992. According to Donnachie, the mill had a large cast-iron breastshot wheel; the lade is still traceable. Donnachie describes Minnigaff Mill as "a substantial mill of its period still in good structural order".
Other nearby listed buildings