History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Youth Hostel, Millcroft Road, Minnigaff

A Category C Listed Building in Minnigaff, Dumfries and Galloway

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9653 / 54°57'55"N

Longitude: -4.4823 / 4°28'56"W

OS Eastings: 241180

OS Northings: 566226

OS Grid: NX411662

Mapcode National: GBR 4H.Y68B

Mapcode Global: WH3TF.3GTD

Plus Code: 9C6QXG89+43

Entry Name: Youth Hostel, Millcroft Road, Minnigaff

Listing Name: Minnigaff,youth Hostel (Former School) and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 3 August 1993

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353634

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19305

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Minnigaff

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Parish: Minnigaff

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Newton Stewart


Circa 1900. Former school. Single storey, T-plan. Whin rubble, squared and snecked to E elevation. Red sandstone bull-faced dressings. Long and short quoins. Smooth margin drafts, mullionsand transoms. Chamfered cills. Overhanging eaves. Double-leaf panelled doors; 3-pane fanlights.

E (MILLCROFT ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled jamb at centre. Tall transomed bipartite window, made quadripartite below transom by flanking narrow lights, to E.

S ELEVATION: S return of jamb to right, with window to far left, and gabled bay to left of centre with stack. Piended bay advanced to left, with door to E. Lower jerkin-headed bay further adjoined to piended bay to right to S; bipartite window to right and window to left to S; small window to E. Lean-to slightly recessed to left, with door and boarded panel.

N ELEVATION: N return of jamb to left, with window to far right. Piende d bay advanced to right, with door to E. Lower jerkin-headed bay further adjoined to piended bay to left to N; bipartite window to left and window to right to N; small window to E. Lean-to slightly recessed to right, with door at centre and window flanking to left.

W ELEVATION: twin-gabled, both gables with tall transomed bipartite winow, made quadripartite below transom by flanking narrow lights. Rubble wall adjoined at centre.

Sash and case windows; mainly with 4-pane upper sashes and plate glass lower sashes; 4-pane glazing to each sash of transomed bipartite windows. Corniced red sandstone ashlar stacks, gablehead to S, below ridge at centre to W. Tall brick stack to lean-to to N. Small grey slates. Red ridge tiles; several ball finials. Several ridge ventilators. Terracotta cans.

Low rubble wall; concrete saddleback coping. Red sandstone gatepiers. Hooped railings and gates.

Statement of Interest

The school is not shown on the OS Map of 1894; it is shown on the OS

Map of 1907. The school is now used as a Youth Hostel. It is situated to the S of the Old School House (see separate listing).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.