This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9653 / 54°57'55"N
Longitude: -4.4823 / 4°28'56"W
OS Eastings: 241180
OS Northings: 566226
OS Grid: NX411662
Mapcode National: GBR 4H.Y68B
Mapcode Global: WH3TF.3GTD
Entry Name: Minnigaff,youth Hostel (Former School) and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353634
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19305
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Circa 1900. Former school. Single storey, T-plan. Whin rubble, squared and snecked to E elevation. Red sandstone bull-faced dressings. Long and short quoins. Smooth margin drafts, mullionsand transoms. Chamfered cills. Overhanging eaves. Double-leaf panelled doors; 3-pane fanlights.
E (MILLCROFT ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled jamb at centre. Tall transomed bipartite window, made quadripartite below transom by flanking narrow lights, to E.
S ELEVATION: S return of jamb to right, with window to far left, and gabled bay to left of centre with stack. Piended bay advanced to left, with door to E. Lower jerkin-headed bay further adjoined to piended bay to right to S; bipartite window to right and window to left to S; small window to E. Lean-to slightly recessed to left, with door and boarded panel.
N ELEVATION: N return of jamb to left, with window to far right. Piende d bay advanced to right, with door to E. Lower jerkin-headed bay further adjoined to piended bay to left to N; bipartite window to left and window to right to N; small window to E. Lean-to slightly recessed to right, with door at centre and window flanking to left.
W ELEVATION: twin-gabled, both gables with tall transomed bipartite winow, made quadripartite below transom by flanking narrow lights. Rubble wall adjoined at centre.
Sash and case windows; mainly with 4-pane upper sashes and plate glass lower sashes; 4-pane glazing to each sash of transomed bipartite windows. Corniced red sandstone ashlar stacks, gablehead to S, below ridge at centre to W. Tall brick stack to lean-to to N. Small grey slates. Red ridge tiles; several ball finials. Several ridge ventilators. Terracotta cans.
Low rubble wall; concrete saddleback coping. Red sandstone gatepiers. Hooped railings and gates.
The school is not shown on the OS Map of 1894; it is shown on the OS
Map of 1907. The school is now used as a Youth Hostel. It is situated to the S of the Old School House (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings