This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9418 / 54°56'30"N
Longitude: -4.8502 / 4°51'0"W
OS Eastings: 217527
OS Northings: 564506
OS Grid: NX175645
Mapcode National: GBR 40.ZZCR
Mapcode Global: WH2S9.G1LX
Entry Name: New Luce Parish Church, Graveyard, Graveyard Walls and War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353707
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19380
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Parish: New Luce
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Circa 1821; restored and refurbished by David Jardine, 1965. Hall church. Painted rubble. Mainly round-arched windows, several square windows. Chamfered margins. Coped skews. Slightly graded grey slates. Modern vestry and porch adjoined to W; pebble-dashed, concrete dressings and slate roof. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey gabled vestry and porch at ground at centre; corniced doorpiece, raised through eaves, to far right to S return, with architraved doorway and double-leaf door; round-arched bipartite window to W; 2 windows to N return. Small round-arched window above. Birdcage bellcote, with small bell; corniced eaves and base, curved pyramidal roof and ball finial.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay (1-2-1). Large round-arched windows in bays to left and right of centre, flanking flat-coped buttress at centre. Square windows at ground in outer bays.
E ELEVATION: round-arched doorway at centre at ground floor. Round-arched window above.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Round-arched windows in outer bays. Mural tablet, dated 1756, at ground at centre; square window above.
INTERIOR: oblong hall. Painted plaster walls and boarded dadoes. Coombed ceiling; delicate plaster rose. Modern pulpit (post 1965 ?). Timber communion table (post 1934). Modern vestibule advanced to W. Marble mural tablet to N wall. Simple coloured and watered glass patterns to leaded geometric-pane glazing.
GRAVEYARD: some fine 18th century monuments; mainly 19th century monuments.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble wall, with rubble coping. Square rubble gatepiers to W, with red sandstone pyramidal-capping, built as continuation of wall; simple double-leaf iron gates. War Memorial set into recess in W wall, to S of gates. Piece of gravestone (?) built into wall to N.
WAR MEMORIAL: circa 1919. Celtic cross war memorial. Ashlar. Simple Celtic cross set on pedestal. Base of cross inscribed "1914 - 1918". W face of pedestal inscribed "To the glory of God and in loving memory of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War" and with names. Stepped platform. Canted ashlar wall behind, recessed into graveyard; rear wall inscribed "Their name liveth for evermore".
Ecclesiastical building in use as such; Church of Scotland. The present Church was erected on the site of the former parish church, which was known as the Moor Kirk of Luce. According to Hay, New Luce Parish Church was built in 1816, although the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT gives the date of construction as about 1821, stating that the Church could accommodate 400. The interior was recast in 1878. The Church was renovated and reseated in 1965 by David Jardine of Stranraer (plaque in Church). New Luce was linked with Old Luce on 10 March 1969, under the ministry of Old Luce.
Other nearby listed buildings