This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7847 / 54°47'4"N
Longitude: -4.5717 / 4°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 234720
OS Northings: 546345
OS Grid: NX347463
Mapcode National: GBR HJ22.4LS
Mapcode Global: WH3V4.RZ5V
Plus Code: 9C6QQCMH+V8
Entry Name: Greenmantle Hotel, Main Street, Mochrum
Listing Name: Mochrum, Greenmantle Hotel (Former Manse), with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353926
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19539
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Anthony Park, 1781; major additions and alterations, 1822; further addition, 1900-01. Former manse. 2-storey, 3-bay house, 1781; 2-storey, 3-bay house added to S, 1822, forming L-plan; 2-storey, 2-bay wing, 1900-01, in re-entrant angle to E. Painted rubble; painted render to E elevation and 1900-01 wing. Painted margins and quoin strips to 1822 block.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 1822. Roman Doric porch at centre; detached columns, triglyph frieze, cornice, and blocking course with central tablet; flush-panelled door and plate glass fanlight; red sandstone steps and platt to porch. Regularly disposed fenestration; taller windows at ground floor.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay block of 1781 to left; gable of 1822 block slightly advanced to right. Regularly disposed fenestration to block to left; windows at ground floor later enlargements; later small window at ground floor between centre and right bays. Small modern timber porch adjoined to left. Window to left at ground floor to gable to right.
E ELEVATION: gable of 1822 block to left, with window to left at ground floor. 1900-01 wing to right; French window and bay to left and bipartite window and bay to right at ground floors; 2 windows at 1st floors.
N ELEVATION: gable of 1781 block to right; painted rubble lean-to adjoined to right to N; window at 1st floor to E return. 1900-01 wing recessed to left, with modern flat-roofed timber addition filling re-entrant angle at ground floor. Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; fixed plate glass glazing at ground floor to
S elevation. Coped skews. Painted rubble stacks, with copes; gablehead to E and W, with quoin strips, to 1822 block; gablehead to N and ridge to S to 1781 block. Grey slates, graded to E and W pitches of 1781 block. Painted octagonal cans. Red sandstone ridges. Piend roof to N to 1900-01 wing.
INTERIOR: some good late 18th century panelled doors, architraves and cornicing to 1781 house.
BOUNDARY WALLS: built 1867. Rubble walls with angled rubble coping; to Main Street to W; wall to N mutual with Graveyard (see separate listing). Various gabled and piend-roofed stone outbuildings; 2 to S; one to N incorporated with Graveyard wall.
The Architect of the manse is given as Anthony Park in notes taken from the scroll minutes, as recorded in the SCRAPBOOK. According to the same source, the manse was nearly complete in March 1781, when work was inspected, and in August 1781 "the Presbytery did thereby do declare the Manse of Mochrum... sufficiently executed". The 1781 building replaced an earlier manse (apparently built 1733), which was presumably situated on the same site, as in 1796, the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT refers to "the manse and offices... being all of late substantially rebuilt, and covered with slate". In 1839, the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states that "a large addition was built to the manse in 1822; and it is at present in excellent repair". The 1900-01 wing was apparently built of bricks from the local kiln at Monreith village.