History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Port William, High Street, Bank of Scotland, with Boundary Walls, Railings and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Mochrum, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7588 / 54°45'31"N

Longitude: -4.5823 / 4°34'56"W

OS Eastings: 233937

OS Northings: 543487

OS Grid: NX339434

Mapcode National: GBR HJ14.5SX

Mapcode Global: WH3VB.LN56

Entry Name: Port William, High Street, Bank of Scotland, with Boundary Walls, Railings and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 11 November 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353972

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19578

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Mochrum

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Parish: Mochrum

Traditional County: Wigtownshire

Find accommodation in
Port William

Description

Later 19th century. 2-storey bank and bank house. Squared and coursed whin masonry. Cream sandstone ashlar dressings: rybated margins; quoins, with margin draft; band course between floors; eaves course at lintel level and eaves cornice; base course. Recessed aprons

to all windows.

N (BANK HOUSE ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Corniced and pilastered

doorpiece at centre; modern panelled door, with deep plate glass fanlight. Regularly disposed fenestration; narrow window at centre at 1st floor; wider windows at ground floor.

E (BANK ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, with 2 bays to left recessed. Corniced and pilastered doorpiece in bay to outer right. Regularly disposed fenestration. Variety of glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing at ground floor; 6-pane glazing at 1st floor. Pebble-dashed wallhead stacks to E and W. Piended platform roof.

Octagonal cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: low whin rubble walls, with red

sandstone saddleback coping; surmounted by cast-iron fleur-de-lis railings. Red sandstone ashlar conical-capped octagonal gatepiers, one surmounted by ashlar ball.

Statement of Interest

This building is not marked on the OS Map of 1848, but it is marked as "Bank" on the OS Map of 1894. It is quite probably by Peddie and Kinnear, or the later Kinnear and Peddie, who had a strong hold on bank design during these years.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.