This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5884 / 57°35'18"N
Longitude: -2.73 / 2°43'47"W
OS Eastings: 356455
OS Northings: 855610
OS Grid: NJ564556
Mapcode National: GBR M8MN.N4C
Mapcode Global: WH7L1.1J9H
Plus Code: 9C9VH7QC+92
Entry Name: Ordiquhill Parish Church
Listing Name: Ordiquhill Parish Church with Burial Enclosure and Graveyard Walls
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353991
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19595
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1805, with later addition and interior remodelling. Rectangular-
squared plan, 2-storey, piend-roofed church with gable to S; single storey, gabled vestry addition to N. Harled with ashlar margins.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: round-arched doorways to E and W, panelled doors with radial fanlights, bipartite above at 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to centre with 2 tall, broadly spaced, round-arched windows with timber Y-tracery, shutter hinges. Re-used ashlar birdcage bellcote to gable with (fallen) ball finial, and bell by John Mowat of Aberdeen, dated 1754, with inscription and ornament (Eeles).
N ELEVATION: projecting gabled vestry with forestair to door in W re-entrant angle. Windows flanking at ground and 1st floor. Sash and case windows and some casements with 8-pane glazing pattern. Square leaded panes to S windows. Grey slates to piended roof, ashlar skews to gable, stack to vestry.
INTERIOR: galleried; remodelled, probably 1862 (Cramond). Grained woodwork, apart from classically detailed panelled pulpit to S wall; probably original. Pedimented and corniced, back-drop to pulpit with fluted pilasters and round-arched panelled inset; supported on panelled pedestal with acanthus scrolled brackets, curved stair with balustrade. Gallery to 3 sides, supported on slender timber-clad pillars panelled with dentilled cornice. Round-arched panel to N with recessed,
GRAVEYARD, ENCLOSURE AND BOUNDARY WALLS: with rounded rubble coped wall and gatepiers, Davidson and Tawse, architects, Lincoln's Inn, London, 1923. Burial enclosure of Gordon Duffs of Park 1665-1923 to E; rubble walled with heavy roll-moulded ashlar coping, armorial and memorial panel.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The Kirk Session Records (see SRO and Cramond) document approval of the plans for a new church to hold 500-600 persons in June 1805, and the specification that the plan be made squarer. The rebuild was sponsored by Lachlan Gordon of Park. Records also refer to repairs to the church and apportioning of sittings in 1862; this suggests a remodelling of the interior. A new Manse was built in 1867, funded by Major Duff of Park; currently known as Wetherhill House (listed separately). Ordiquhill Church is similar to Kildrummy Parish Church, Aberdeenshire, which is also unusually square in plan.