This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.584 / 57°35'2"N
Longitude: -2.7258 / 2°43'32"W
OS Eastings: 356700
OS Northings: 855118
OS Grid: NJ567551
Mapcode National: GBR M8MP.40R
Mapcode Global: WH7L1.3M8W
Plus Code: 9C9VH7MF+JM
Entry Name: Wetherhill House
Listing Name: Wetherhill House
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353997
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19600
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
A and W Reid, 1865. 2-storey with basement, 3-bay former Church of Scotland Manse. Squared coursed and pinned whinstone rubble, sandstone dressings; raised ashlar margins, margined quoins, band course, eaves course. Harled basement, sides and rear.
SE ELEVATION: flight of 7 steps with cast-iron balustrade oversailing basement to deep-set 6-panelled door at centre, with pilastered and corniced doorpiece, letterbox fanlight. Windows flanking at ground, 3 windows at 1st floor close under eaves. Low ashlar coped retaining wall to basement with railings, 4 windows to basement.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2 doors and 2 windows to basement, 3 windows at ground, 4 openings at 1st floor, centre stair window lengthened.
Window at ground to each gable end. Sash and case windows with 4-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews with gablet skewputts, corniced ashlar stacks with decorative cans. 3 small skylights to roof.
Kirk Session Records (Cramond) document the petition for a new manse in 1865; it was built in 1865, financed by Major Duff of Park. The building demonstrates the late survival of the Georgian style in the mid-Victorian period; A & W Reid were pupils of W Robertson of Elgin. It is almost unaltered since built, with just 1 additional and 1 enlarged opening at rear (see plans).
The courtyard steading to S; a single storey range with walled courtyard, rendered and whitewashed, is in use as garage and stores. Single storey, flat-roofed rubble wellhead building to E.Wetherhill ceased to be a manse in the 1960s.