This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5243 / 57°31'27"N
Longitude: -2.5827 / 2°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 365197
OS Northings: 848385
OS Grid: NJ651483
Mapcode National: GBR M8ZV.3JK
Mapcode Global: WH8MM.94CN
Plus Code: 9C9VGCF8+PW
Entry Name: Netherdale House
Listing Name: Netherdale House
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354022
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19618
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Possibly William Robertson, circa 1825. 2-storey, 5-bay x 3-bay classical house with raised basement. 2-storey single bay, recessed wing and rear additions and alterations by A and W Reid of Elgin, dated 1856 (to rhone at rear) and porch addition circa 1900. Coursed granite ashlar with rusticated quoins to principal floors, band course, cill course and entablature; cornice to taller windows at principal floor to S, and architraved windows. Harled sides to rear and rear elevation.
S ELEVATION: broad, advanced bay at centre. Entrance to basement through 2 floors; Roman Doric portico with paired columns and fully detailed entablature. Diocletian window above. Tripartite doorway, flanking pilasters, 4-panelled door with rectangular fanlight. Tripartite at 1st floor with carved Rococo pediment above, consoled balcony with balustrade. Parapet with 2 urns. Windows to each floor in flanking bays with moulded architraves. Recessed wings with broad, advanced, pedimented bay with tripartite at principal and 1st floor.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3 windows to each floor, 2 bays to advanced W wing, 1 bay to E wing with lean-to addition at ground.
N ELEVATION: irregular, 2-storey; broad, advanced bay at centre, accommodating secondary stair; window to each floor with narrow windows flanking. W wing formerly projecting to N, demolished after fire, 1946.
Sash and case windows with 4-pane glazing pattern, lying-pane glazing at rear.
Grey slates to piended roof, with octagonal cupola, corniced ashlar stacks with decorative cans.
INTERIOR: remodelled mid and late 19th century. Entrance hall altered circa 1900; entrance now at ground, stair to principal floor lit by Diocletian window. Main staircase wood dog-leg stair with cast-iron balustrade lot by cupola. Doors recessed in panelled doorcases. Principal; rooms with 4-panelled doors and shutters; top panels with rounded moulding, simple cornices. Stone stair in advanced bay at rear, from basement to 1st floor with cast-iron balusters; possibly principal stair of earlier house.
Both the form of the house and the fact that the later work was executed by A and W Reid suggest that the original architect was their uncle, William Robertson. Netherdale Walled Garden with pavilion, the Coachhouse, Stables and Garage, and the Dovecot at Barnyards of Netherdale are listed separately. The house is thought to have been built circa 1820; a 2-storey and basement house with stone forestair (as at Ardmeallie, listed separately), built by the Rose-Innes Family. Additions were made in the form of wings and a courtyard to the rear in 1856, although the wings flanking the courtyard were demolished in
1946. (These demolitions caused a major fire in 1947; leading to dry rot due to water damage). The forestair was removed and porch added with interior stair circa 1900. The present drive has replaced an earlier sweep from E and W, this was the tradesman's entrance.
Built by the Rose-Innes Family, factors to the Duke of Fife, who occupied Netherdale until 1922, the house was used as a rest and pre-embarkation camp for allied soldiers during WWII (see the garage). At the end of the war, Col Duff of Drummuir bought the estate which was subdivided, and last changed hands in 1969.
Prior to 1826 a house called Pittendreigh appears on the site; Netherdale appears further upstream where Auldtown of Netherdale (listed separately) now stands. Pittendreigh has now disappeared, apart from the mains farm.
The Coachhouse and garage, walled garden with summerhouse, sundial and gatepiers and dovecot are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings