This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8425 / 55°50'32"N
Longitude: -3.9464 / 3°56'47"W
OS Eastings: 278217
OS Northings: 662741
OS Grid: NS782627
Mapcode National: GBR 00WW.DG
Mapcode Global: WH4QK.CD0Y
Plus Code: 9C7RR3R3+XC
Entry Name: Chapelhall Parish Church, Russell Street, Chapelhall
Listing Name: Chapelhall, Russell Street, Chapelhall Parish Church
Listing Date: 7 July 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354057
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19659
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1857; hall 1882; further hall 1954. T-plan, Gothic-detailed church with tower and truncated spire. Stugged sandstone rubble of various colours, ashlar dressings, slate roof in diminishing courses. Paired lancet windows with lying-pane glazing and louvred trefoil-headed ventilators to N, S and E, trefoil-headed windows to ground floor and 3-light pointed gallery window to W gable, trefoil ventilator to roofspace; ashlar-coped skews with bracketted skewputts, fleur-de-lis finials to N, S and W gables, capped apex at Egable; remains of ridge ventilator.
S ELEVATION: gabled porch at left re-enrant with step-chamfered pointed doorcase, hoodmould, boarded door with multi-pane fanlight; buttressed tower to right with quatrefoil
window to 1st stage, paired trefoil-headed windows and square-headed window with hoodmould to 2nd stage, octagonal 3rd stage with alternate trefoil-headed louvred openings alternating with oculi, finialled spirelet; gable to right with paired lancets and ventilator.
E ELEVATION: gable to centre with paired lancets and ventilator, door to slightly recessed bay at left with flat ogival-headed and chamfered doorcase; brick-built hall (1882) with piended slate roof advanced from slightly recessed bay at right.
W ELEVATION: gable to centre with 3 windows to ground floor, gallery windows and roof ventilator above; windows to side elevation of entrance porch at right; hall (1954) to left.
N ELEVATION: gable to centre with paired lancets and roof ventilator, hall (1954) advanced from recessed bay at right, hall (1882) to left.
INTERIOR: panelled gallery to W end supported on 2 cast-iron columns; plain plaster ceiling with exposed braces and tie beams; wood-grained boarded dado, pews (some with doors) and pulpit; marble font; various memorials, including war
memorial in porch and memorials to William Roberton of Laughope and the Rev Alexander Stewart, first minister of the church.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as Chapelhall and Caderbank Free Church with a subscription from and on land gifted by Captain William Roberton of Laughope, replacing a mission hall. The spire was truncated in 1950 following storm damage. The 1954 hall was designed by D A Stevenson and largely built by volunteers.