This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.9266 / 58°55'35"N
Longitude: -2.8432 / 2°50'35"W
OS Eastings: 351554
OS Northings: 1004672
OS Grid: HY515046
Mapcode National: GBR M5B4.B8L
Mapcode Global: WH7CD.9WCP
Plus Code: 9CCVW5G4+JP
Entry Name: Sebay Mill
Listing Name: Tankerness, Sebay Meal Mill
Listing Date: 8 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354309
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19890
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews and Deerness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: East Mainland, South Ronaldsay and Burray
Parish: St Andrews And Deerness
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1854. 2 1/2 storey, 4-bay L-plan near-symmetrical mill with (later?) 2-storey lean-to addition to internal angle at rear. Roughly coursed rubble. Block-finialled gables; attic windows set close under eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large timber sliding door at ground in bay to left of centre; boarded door at 1st floor; mall window to attic above. Window at each floor in each bay to right. Window at each floor in bay to left.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at ground and attic in bay to left. Boarded door, set to left, at ground in gabled bay to right; window to gablehead above.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation, grouped 2-2. Window at ground with small window at 1st floor above in recessed lean-to block to left. Window at ground in each bay to right; gablehead window at above.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at 1st floor with attic opening above in gabled bay to left. Window at each floor in lean-to bay to right.
Timber-framed windows (some blocked). Purple slate roof; stone ridge; stone skews.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.
No longer in use. Archives reveal plans for a new mill at Sebay, dated 11th July, 1854 and signed by A W Gold ( for the Earl of Zetland) and John Stewart and William Cromarty as tennants. The two pairs of stones were driven by an overshot wheel fed by a mill dam about 1/4 mile away with an engine for the dry season; both the wheel and the machinery are now gone. In the late 1920's the miller was Mr Murdoch from Aberdeen, followed by John Marwick; Graham Bews took over the mill in the 1940's.
Other nearby listed buildings