This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1356 / 57°8'8"N
Longitude: -2.0955 / 2°5'43"W
OS Eastings: 394316
OS Northings: 804968
OS Grid: NJ943049
Mapcode National: GBR SCT.PD
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SXB5
Plus Code: 9C9V4WP3+6Q
Entry Name: Wellington Suspension Bridge, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Wellington Suspension Bridge over River Dee, at Craiglug
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354519
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20073
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Samuel Brown, 1829-31 with later alterations (see Notes).; John Smith, masonry pylons; James Slight, engineer; Robert Mearns, contractor, 2 rough-faced granite pylons, battered with round archways. 2 bar-link saddle chains with suspender rods on each side supporting steel framed wooden deck. Inscription to N parapet, "Wellington Suspension Bridge Erected 1830 Reconstructed 1930". Depressed-arched bridge with granite parapet, dated 1886 to centre, adjoins to W over Riverside Drive.
The Wellington Suspension Bridge is an important example of an early suspension bridge and the sole survivor of four of its kind that crossed the River Dee in the early 19th century. It is a prominently located landmark structure in Aberdeen, making a significant contribution to its setting, connecting Ferryhill with Craiglug, consequently linking Aberdeen to Kincardineshire. Built at a cost of 10,000 pounds, the 220 ft span is suspended from pairs of bar-link chains set one above the other on each side of the 22 ft wide deck. The North arch was added in 1886 and the bridge was partially reconstructed in 1930 when the wrought-iron suspenders and cast-iron bearers were replaced with steel. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1984 and more recently re-opened to pedestrians and cyclists following ongoing strengthening and preservation work (2009).
List description updated (2010). The bridge was a Scheduled Monument from 1979 - 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings