This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1385 / 57°8'18"N
Longitude: -2.0948 / 2°5'41"W
OS Eastings: 394359
OS Northings: 805293
OS Grid: NJ943052
Mapcode National: GBR SCX.JD
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.STNX
Plus Code: 9C9V4WQ4+C3
Entry Name: Boundary Marker 'Alpha', North Esplanade West, Aberdeen
Listing Name: North Esplanade West at Old Ford Road and Mouth of Ferryhill Burn, March Stone a (Alpha)
Listing Date: 21 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394164
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46796
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Circa 1790. Small rectangular granite March Stone, against side of concrete bridge at mouth of Ferryhill Burn. Tooled chamfered angle reading "A ABD CR" (City Royalty).
This March Stone A represents the start of the inner marches (boundaries) of Aberdeen, defined by marked stones possibly dating from 1698. The original stones were replaced by the present stones, such as this one, numbered 1-48, in about 1790. The outer marches are thought to be later than the inner marches.
Other nearby listed buildings