This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0957 / 2°5'44"W
OS Eastings: 394310
OS Northings: 806195
OS Grid: NJ943061
Mapcode National: GBR SCS.V6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SM8P
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW3+JP
Entry Name: 22 Adelphi, 21, 21A, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 22 Adelphi
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354560
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20112
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey attic and basement L-plan townhouse with abutting 2-bay house to N (converted to flats) and with arched entrance doorway in re-entrant angle to S. Cream painted harl with grey granite margins. Band course above basement. Cill course. Piended dormers. Granite steps with curved iron railings with spiral ends lead to 6-panel timber entrance door with narrow timber jambs and tall side lights. Large multi-paned semi-circular fanlight above. Round-arched window with Y-tracery glazing at attic gable to W.
Large late twentieth century extension to E containing flats.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Some cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey but known to be comprehensively modernised (2006).
This is a good example of a early nineteenth century townhouse with the traditional external finish of painted harl and granite margins. With its fine corner arched entrance, the house makes a positive contribution to the narrow street of Adelphi.
Adelphi was created in 1815 as part of the early nineteenth century development of Union Street.
Union Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the Aberdeenshire County Road Trustees Surveyor, Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The former became Union Street. This was a particularly difficult project to complete as the street had to cut through St Katherine's Hill at the East end and be built on a series of arches culminating with a large bridge at the Denburn.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings