This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1427 / 57°8'33"N
Longitude: -2.12 / 2°7'12"W
OS Eastings: 392834
OS Northings: 805762
OS Grid: NJ928057
Mapcode National: GBR S8B.X4
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.DQPP
Plus Code: 9C9V4VVH+3X
Entry Name: 26 Albyn Place, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 26 Albyn Place, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354629
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20120
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possibly Archibald Simpson, circa 1830; later additions and alterations. Single storey basement and attic, 3-bay classical villa. Tooled coursed granite finely finished to margins; panelled aprons; pilastered quoins; eaves course; overhanging eaves.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pedimented porch on Doric columns to centre of principal floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door reached by stone steps, fanlight with oval glazing pattern, regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right; broad rectangular dormer (later addition) to attic floor.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical; round-arched window to centre.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-storey glazed corridor linking villa to modern block to centre bay, regular fenestration to basement and principal floor of flanking bay to left; bowed bay to right, small window to basement floor, 3-light window above; rectangular dormer to attic floor.
E ELEVATION: blank.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: majority of doors, architraves, picture rails, cornicing, shutters and some skirting boards survive to principal floor. Decoratively moulded ceiling to entrance hall, timber lintel course with fretwork carving. Dividing walls removed from flanking rooms, simple marble fire surrounds survive; floreate cornice to room to E.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped granite walls to N, with 2 square-plan gatepiers; high coped rubble walls to remainder.
Albyn Place was originally built on the lands of Rubislaw, owned by James Skene. Skene lived in Albyn Place in Edinburgh (hence the same name in Aberdeen), and commissioned Archibald Elliot to prepare a scheme for Aberdeen based on the New Town in Edinburgh. Albyn Place was the only part of Elliot's scheme to be executed, the remainder being remodelled by Archibald Simpson just over a decade later, and again in the 1840s. Graham suggests that 26 Albyn Place was probably by Archibald Simpson. It is one of the smaller villas from the early 19th century, and could be more accurately described as a grand cottage. Of particular note are the pilastered quoins, fanlight and bowed bay to the rear. Under ownership of Business Direct (2000).
Other nearby listed buildings