This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1478 / 57°8'52"N
Longitude: -2.0932 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394461
OS Northings: 806326
OS Grid: NJ944063
Mapcode National: GBR SD5.9X
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLFS
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX4+4P
Entry Name: 51-52 Castle Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 51 and 52 Castle Street and 1 and 3 Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354783
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20173
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1763. 3-storey and attic, 4 bay townhouse with later public house to ground floor sited on prominent corner location. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins.
Castle Street (N) Elevation: eaves course. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors. Canted dormers flanking nepus gable with two attic windows. Later, public house fascia at ground floor returns to Marischal Street with signage breaking window line at first storey.
Marischal Street (W) elevation: 5 bay with original door to centre bay blocked and multi-pane fixed tripartite window with stone mullions to far right. Substantial moulded eaves cornice with prominent triangular gable end above featuring moulded arch and shallow recess flanked by square attic windows.
Predominately 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar granite stacks to N, S and W gables; terracotta cans. Recessed cast-iron rain water goods.
INTERIOR: Blackfriars Public House, predominantly modernised, now internally linked to 5-9 Marischal Street, also listed at category B, at ground floor. 19th century gantry with later additions and alterations including stained glass thought to originate from demolished chapel near Aberdeen.
Part of B Group with Nos 9-23 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, Nos 31-35 (inclusive nos) and 40-48 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, 51 and 52 Castle Street and Salvation Army Citadel.
Occupying a prominent corner site at a crucial city centre location in the Castlegate, this building is a significant part of the streetscape and is a good example of later 18th century building. The Nepus gable is a traditional feature of early Scottish tenements and combined with the wide regularly spaced bays of the principal storeys, it prefigures the Classical style of architecture which was to dominate the character of Aberdeen in the 19th century.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline, it is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Other nearby listed buildings