This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1475 / 57°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.0929 / 2°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 394479
OS Northings: 806297
OS Grid: NJ944062
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.17
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLLZ
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX4+2V
Entry Name: 17, 19, 21 Marischal Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 17-21 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355249
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20425
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century (see Notes). 3-storey with attic, 5-bay classical townhouse on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with lugged architrave mouldings to central door and first floor openings, raised margins at second floor, moulded eaves course. Pitched roof with central pedimented dormer flanked by larger canted dormers. Shop frontage to ground floor right; recessed door (No 21) with cast iron gate, fixed pane window at far right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; ashlar coped skew at right gable; coped stack with granite ashlar to street and red brick to rear; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Regular glazing pattern to rear.
INTERIOR: Partly seen (2006). Some original cornicing at ground floor.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The simple classical styling of Nos 17-21 forms a significant part of the streets lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789, when Alexander Milnes Map of that date shows building to the North half of the street completed.
Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings