This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1511 / 57°9'3"N
Longitude: -2.0938 / 2°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 394425
OS Northings: 806692
OS Grid: NJ944066
Mapcode National: GBR SD2.DP
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TJ48
Plus Code: 9C9V5W24+CF
Entry Name: 136, 138, 140 King Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 136-140 (Even Nos) King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355223
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20410
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 3-storey and attic Classical tenement with shops to ground. Grey granite ashlar, with some raised cill margins, channelled to ground, rubble to rear. Round-arched openings to ground. Impost course, band course between ground and 1st storey. Central entrance door to flats with flanking pair of symmetrical shops.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Plate glass and multi-pane glazing pattern to ground windows with fanlight glazing detail. Grey slate, gable stacks, raised skews.
This tenement building with its restrained, Classical style forms an essential component of the planned streetscape of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. This is a particularly good example as the round arched openings to the ground floor have been retained, giving a clear indication of the original appearance of this part of the street. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained medieval burgh to a modern rational city.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style. The result is a street which shows the character of diversity within uniformity.
Other nearby listed buildings