This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1511 / 57°9'3"N
Longitude: -2.0934 / 2°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 394450
OS Northings: 806690
OS Grid: NJ944066
Mapcode National: GBR SD3.V6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TJC8
Plus Code: 9C9V5W24+CM
Entry Name: 142 King Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 142 King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355225
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20412
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Smith, pre 1828 (for himself). 2-storey and attic, 2-bay Classical former villa and offices with prominent central fluted Doric columned porch and pedimented blocking course. Reached from round-arched pend on King Street leading to small, cobbled courtyard. Wet harl. Piended dormers. Large, late 20th century extension to S. Now Social club (2006).
Some 4-pane timber sash and case windows, others boarded up. Grey slate. Gable stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey (2006). Believed to be modernised.
Designed by renowned local architect John Smith as his residence and office, 142 King Street is now situated in a secluded courtyard and approached through a round-arched pend and across a cobbled courtyard. With its Doric porch and pedimented blocking course, the house maintains the Classical style which was prevalent in 19th century Aberdeen. Smith, with Archibald Simpson, was largely responsible for this Classical dominance within the city and here also chooses it for himself. The 1828 Wood Map of Aberdeen suggests that the villa originally had an open outlook towards the North-West.
John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre and St Clement's East Church (see separate listings).
Currently in commercial use (2006).
References from previous list description: Aberdeen Directory, 1824. Chapman and Riley, p 148.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings