This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1385 / 57°8'18"N
Longitude: -2.1018 / 2°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 393938
OS Northings: 805288
OS Grid: NJ939052
Mapcode National: GBR SBY.CK
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PTCY
Plus Code: 9C9V4VQX+97
Entry Name: 10 Marine Terrace, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 3-11 (Inclusive Numbers) Marine Terrace, Including Railings
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355244
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20421
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Designed by Archibald Simpson, 1830-31; Nos 9 and 10 built 1837; scheme revised and complete 1877-1882, Duncan McMillan and J Russell Mackenzie. 27-bay classical terrace comprising 9 3-bay houses: Nos 7 & 8 2-storey basement and attic, remainder single storey basement and attic. Coursed grey granite ashlar, with finely finished dressings. Base course; architraved window and door openings; pilastered doorways with panelled timber doors, letterbox fanlight; ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement doorways; strip quoins; eaves cornice, band course to Nos 7 and 8; eaves blocking course; canted dormers to attic.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; Nos 3-6: 2 mirrored pairs of 3-bay cottages, doorways to centre 2 bays of basement and ground floors, flanked to outer bays by pair of windows; 2 dormers to attic floors. Nos 7 and 8: stepped up mirrored pair of 2-storey houses: doorways to centre 2 bays of basement and ground floors, flanked to outer bays by pair of windows; regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 dormers to attic floor of each house. Nos 9 and 10: symmetrical; doorway to centre bay of each cottage at basement and ground floors, flanked to left and right by single window, original 1837 fanlight to No 10; 2 dormers to attic above. No 11: doorway to bay to left of basement and ground floors, flanked to right by pair of windows, fanlight bearing Roman numeral "X"; 2 dormers to attic.
N ELEVATION: gabled; harled; predominantly obscured by adjoining 1967 terrace.
W ELEVATION: variety of openings to basement; windows and doors flanked by pairs of canted windows to principal floor; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; harled; half-gabled; blank.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows; 4-pane to No 9, 12-pane to No 10. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped granite ashlar gablehead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: decorative entrance porches, with etched or stained glass; original staircases with turned balusters; much of original skirting boards and cornices survive; some original fireplaces.
RAILINGS: decorative iron railings on low coped wall flanking basement and steps to doorways.
B-Group with Marine Terrace, Boundary Walls and Railings (see separate listing). Marine Terrace, originally called Belvidere Terrace, sits on an purpose built embankment over looking Ferryhill. It was commissioned by the Shoemaker Incorporation in 1830. The original plan was for a place block terrace of 10 houses, predominantly single storey attic and basement with the attic hidden behind the eaves blocking course, stepped up to 2 full storeys and advanced to the centre and at each end. The houses were to be "of the same quality of granite and dressing as the houses in Bon Accord Terrace [now Crescent]" (Fraser), see separate listing. Sadly in Simpson's lifetime only 2 of the houses were actually built, Numbers 9 and 10 in 1837, the year after which the terrace became known as Marine Terrace. In 1877 Duncan McMillan and J Russell Mackenzie took out the remaining feus and began work. The only alterations he made to Simpson's designs was to replace the timber eaves with a granite cornice, and the replacement of the 2 storey terminating blocks with double houses with front entrances (these were not executed). Fraser describes the end result as "a beautiful and unique little street", only marred by the later 20th century terminating blocks.
Other nearby listed buildings