This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1387 / 57°8'19"N
Longitude: -2.1012 / 2°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 393970
OS Northings: 805312
OS Grid: NJ939053
Mapcode National: GBR SC0.J8
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PTLS
Plus Code: 9C9V4VQX+FG
Entry Name: Boundary Wall Railings And Former Public Toilets, Marine Terrace Communal Gardens, Ferryhill, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Marine Terrace, Boundary Walls and Railings to Communal Garden, Including Former Public Lavatory
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355246
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20422
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably Archibald Simpson, 1838. Curved enclosure opposite Marine Terrace. Rough-faced granite wall with ashlar coping surmounted by cast-iron railings with arrow-head caps to W and S; square-plan pier with pyramidal cap to SE; granite rubble walls with granite coping to N and E incorporating rectangular-plan stugged granite former public lavatory, with bipartite window to centre, panelled timber door to left return, piended slate roof with decorative ironwork finials, cast-iron rainwater goods to overhanging eaves.
B-Group with 3-11 (inclusive numbers) Marine Terrace (see separate listing). Marine Terrace, originally called Belvidere Terrace, sits on an purpose built embankment over looking Ferryhill. It was commissioned by the Shoemaker Incorporation in 1830. The original plan was for a terrace of 10 houses, predominantly single storey attic and basement with the attic hidden behind the eaves blocking course, stepped up to 2 full storeys and advanced to the centre and at each end. The houses were to be "of the same quality of granite and dressing as the houses in Bon Accord Terrace [now Crescent]" (Fraser), see separate listing. Sadly in Simpson's lifetime only 2 of the houses were actually built, Numbers 9 and 10 in 1837, the year after which the terrace became known as Marine Terrace. In 1877 Duncan McMillan and J Russell Mackenzie took out the remaining feus and began work. The only alteration he made to Simpson's designs was to replace the timber eaves with a granite cornice, and the replacement of the 2 storey terminating blocks with double houses with front entrances (these were not executed). Fraser describes the end result as "a beautiful and unique little street", only marred by the later 20th century terminating blocks.
Other nearby listed buildings