This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1469 / 57°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.0924 / 2°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 394506
OS Northings: 806224
OS Grid: NJ945062
Mapcode National: GBR SD8.68
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TMSH
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW5+P2
Entry Name: 44 Marischal Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 44 Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355263
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20439
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1789-1821. 3-storey and attic, 2-bay townhouse with fine Classical doorpiece on sloping site. Grey granite ashlar; eaves band.. Recessed doorway to right with timber panelled door flanked by Tuscan columns supporting large fanlight; pair of windows to left. Cast-iron plant railing at 2nd storey windows. 5-storey to rear (W) elevation; 2nd floor window to principal (E) elevation at pavement (basement) level. Pair of tripartite, canted piended dormers.
Multi-pane timber sash and case windows with glazed margins. Grey slate. Red brick stack to left gable with granite ashlar facing. Ashlar skew. Clay cans. Recessed cast-iron rainwater goods.
The Classical styling of No 44 forms a significant part of Marischal Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. Built between 1789 (Alexander Milne's map of that year shows earlier buildings on Virginia Street below) and 1821 where it can be seen on John Wood's map of that year.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of great historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-40 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings