This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0918 / 2°5'30"W
OS Eastings: 394542
OS Northings: 806175
OS Grid: NJ945061
Mapcode National: GBR SDC.2G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VM2T
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW5+H7
Entry Name: 60, 62 Marischal Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 60 and 62 Marischal Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355267
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20443
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1790-1821. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay Classical commercial and residential building on sloping site with unusual bowed SE corner bay to Regent Quay. Grey granite ashlar with eaves band. E elevation: substantial R-Doric pilastered doorpiece at No 62 to far left bay. Curved corner bay lent aspect of a drum tower by use of v-shaped indent to S elevation; broad semi-eliptical wallhead stack above. Box dormer with canted tripartite windows to each end.
12-pane timber sash and case windows throughout; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Grey slates. Ridge stack to right with ashlar facing to street and red brick to rear; clay cans. Coped ashlar stack and skew to gable end. Recessed rain water goods. 5-storey to rear with regular fenestration. Later, harled 5-storey outshot to central bay with piended roof.
The interesting and unusual classical styling of Nos 60 and 62, with its drum-like bowed corner, forms a fitting termination to Marischal Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. Built between 1789 (Alexander Milne's 1789 map) and 1821 where it can be seen on John Woods map of that year.
Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of great historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-40 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.
The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.
Part of A Group with 3-62 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.
Other nearby listed buildings