This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.148 / 57°8'52"N
Longitude: -2.1007 / 2°6'2"W
OS Eastings: 394004
OS Northings: 806349
OS Grid: NJ940063
Mapcode National: GBR SC2.KP
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PLVM
Entry Name: 46-70 (Even Nos) Schoolhill
Listing Date: 26 May 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355791
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20647
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Alexander Marshall Mackenzie (for Matthew and Mackenzie Architects), 1885-6. Substantial 3-storey and attic L-plan block of commercial and residential buildings in the Renaissance style. Comprises 2 distinct designs sympathetically treated to create a well-integrated run. Grey granite ashlar with red Correnie granite dressings.
Nos 46-50: 7-bay corner building with shops to ground; splayed at SE with fluted pilasters to 1st floor, plinthed urns above cornice flank prominent angled pilastered dormer with entabulature, finials, fish-scale slated roof and cast-iron crown. 5 segmental-arch dormers separated by low coped parapet to Schoolhill elevation. 6-bay with 4 dormers to Harriet Street elevation.
Nos 54-70: 8-bay (S elevation) corner building; channelled rustication to ground floor; splayed SW corner with stone mullioned tripartite openings to 1st and 2nd floors; giant pilasters with Ionic style capitals terminate 2nd and 3rd storey bays at S and W elevations. Triangular pedimented gable end at W elelvation with keystoned occulus. Raised blocks above cornice forming castellated effect. 8 setback pedimented tripartite dormers within mansarded roof. 8-bay to W elevation with similar treatment.
Plate-glass timber sash and case windows throughout; grey slate, red granite ashlar ridge and end stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Situated on high ground at the top of Schoolhill this block follows the gentle curve of the street. It is a good example of the work of local architect Alexander Marshall Mackenzie. The unusual use of contrasting red granite dressings have been introduced to ease the transition from the more traditional grey granite buildings on the right, to the more formal Renaissance style and heavier red granite dressings of the Art Gallery and associated buildings on the left, also by A M Mackenzie (see Art Gallery List Description). The careful handling of Renaissance motifs has resulted in a strong composition which contributes positively to the streetscape. This part of Schoolhill was straightened in the 1880s when the Denburn Viaduct was constructed to line up with the immense Rosemount Viaduct to the W. The area was the educational heart of the city during the later half of the 19th Century.
Other nearby listed buildings