This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1445 / 57°8'40"N
Longitude: -2.1344 / 2°8'3"W
OS Eastings: 391966
OS Northings: 805966
OS Grid: NJ919059
Mapcode National: GBR S69.PS
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5PW9
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV8+R6
Entry Name: 37 Forest Road Including Boundary Walls And Gatepiers, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 35 and 37 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355857
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20697
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Probably John Cameron, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1896; addition to rear, John Rust, 1909. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Coursed rough-faced grey granite ashlar to principal elevation with finely finished margins; granite rubble to remainder. Base course; ground floor cill course; dividing band course; 1st floor cill course; eaves course.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay, comprising 2 2-bay mirrored, semi-detached villas; doorways to 2 centre bays at ground floor, stop-chamfered reveals, corniced with consoles, pilastered panelled timber doors flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlights, bipartite windows to 1st floor above with stop-chamfered reveals, tripartite pedimented timber dormers to attic floor, with sunflower patera centred in pediments; 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors, forming balcony to attic floor, pedimented attic floor flanked by 2 deep scrolls, tripartite window centred to each, scrolled acroteria to pediment, sunflower patera to centre.
SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: gabled.
NE ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; additions by John Rust, 1909; single storey addition advanced to projecting centre bays at ground floor, windows to 1st floor above, tripartite rectangular dormer to right of attic floor, 2 skylights above, outer angles canted; shallow canted windows through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, tripartite piend-roofed dormers to attic floor above.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with scrolled skewputts. Corniced gablehead and ridge stacks with square-plan cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped rough-faced granite wall to SW, single gatepier to left with scrolled cap (shared with 39 and 41 Forest Road, see separate listing); granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
B-Group with 39 and 41 Forest Road. Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. 35 and 37, and 39 and 41 Forest Road are very similar in design to 9 and 11, and 14 and 16 Forest Road (see separate listings), which were designed by Arthur Clyne (1853-1924). The plans for the former houses show John Cameron as the architect. Cameron clearly influenced by Clyne's design, right down to the use of the sunflower paterae which appear in almost all of Pirie and Clyne's designs. All the aforementioned double villas were designed for John Morgan (b. 1841), an Aberdeen builder who specialised in high quality granite cutting and carving. Morgan patronised a great deal of Pirie and Clyne's work, so would have been very familiar with their double villa formula (employed at its best in Hamilton Place - see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings