This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1407 / 57°8'26"N
Longitude: -2.1363 / 2°8'10"W
OS Eastings: 391847
OS Northings: 805545
OS Grid: NJ918055
Mapcode National: GBR S61.41
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4SY6
Entry Name: 59 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355896
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20731
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie, 1896. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite ashlar with finely finished dressings to NW elevation; granite rubble to remainder. Ground and 1st floor cill course; long and short rusticated quoins; eaves course and cornice.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; decorative doorpiece to pedimented centre bay at ground floor, Tuscan columns supporting rusticated entablature and cornice, round-arched doorway with rusticated voussoirs, fluted panels flanking replacement glazed timber door, plain fanlight with dentil moulded cornice around; tripartite windows to flanking bays to left and right at basement and ground floor; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: gabled; blank; granite bridge link to 61 and 63 Queen's Road (see separate listing) at 1st floor level.
SE ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by modern additions.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; modern additions to centre; infilled opening off-centre to right of gablehead.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane replacement timber sash and case windows. Replacement grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Corniced gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron and PVCu rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: largely remodelled as hotel and restaurant.
GATEPIERSAND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent properties); low coped walls between, surmounted by railings (later addition); granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
B-Group with 57 Queen's Road (see separate listing). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 59 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas (see separate listings), including the adjacent 57 Queen's Road, which in all but the colour of the granite is identical to 59 Queen's Road (although 57 Queen's Road retains its windows and much of the original internal decorative scheme).
Other nearby listed buildings