This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1445 / 57°8'40"N
Longitude: -2.1418 / 2°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 391515
OS Northings: 805960
OS Grid: NJ915059
Mapcode National: GBR S58.D6
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2PCC
Entry Name: 64 Rubislaw Den North, Rostrevor, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355957
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20782
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
W & J Smith and William Kelly, 1895-6. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Tooled coursed granite ashlar to ground floor, Aberdeen bond ashlar to 1st floor of S elevation, finely finished to margins; granite rubble to remainder. Roughly tooled base course; contrasting light grey long and short dressings to 1st floor of S elevation; overhanging eaves.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-light canted window to right at ground floor with parapet forming balcony to 1st floor, bipartite window to 1st floor; bipartite windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to left; rectangular dormer centred to attic floor.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; panelled timber door to centre of ground floor with letterbox fanlight; window flanking to left, single window to centre of 1st floor
N ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; stepped tripartite stair window to centre; single storey and attic wing with doorway to left return, adjoining to outer left.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows; fine leaded upper sashes to ground floor windows, small-pane upper sashes to 1st floor. Piended green-grey slate roof with lead ridges. Wallhead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps to S, low coped walls between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 64 Rubislaw Den North is part of the late 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den North runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as William Kelly, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 60 Rubislaw Den North is one of 4 houses on the N side of Rubislaw Den North designed by William Kelly (partly speculatively) the others being 58, 60 and 62 Rubislaw Den North (see separate listings). 64 Rubislaw Den North was built for Reverend Martin Lewis. 62 Rubislaw Den North was Kelly's own house. According to Simpson, Kelly's domestic commissions were carried out to the highest standards. He also notes that "most of them were enriched with Morris wall-papers and furnishings, De Morgan tiles, leaded glass-work and other features designed to have them as artistically satisfying as he [Kelly] could make them" (Simpson, p7).
Other nearby listed buildings