This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1429 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.138 / 2°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 391747
OS Northings: 805784
OS Grid: NJ917057
Mapcode National: GBR S5S.XP
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.4Q5K
Entry Name: 26 Rubislaw Den South, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355985
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20804
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Matthews and Mackenzie, 1892. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay villa. Rough-faced coursed grey granite with finely finished pink granite margins to S elevation; Aberdeen bond rubble to remainder. Base course; pink granite band, cill and lintel courses; eaves course; overhanging eaves; architraved openings to S elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; bipartite windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to left, gableted bipartite dormer to attic floor above; pedimented bay to right advanced, tripartite windows to ground and 1st floors.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; lean-to wing advanced to centre, flat-roofed open porch supported on Tuscan column to left at ground floor, panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels and letterbox fanlight to left return; irregular fenestration to remainder, service wing adjoining to outer right.
N ELEVATION: 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors of bay to right, regular openings to remainder; wing adjoining to outer left; 3 irregularly placed modern skylights to attic floor.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled; blind openings to left and right of ground floor, window to centre of 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with pierced terracotta ridge. Corniced gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers to S with pyramidal caps, low coped ashlar walls between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 26 Rubislaw Den South is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Rubislaw Den South runs almost parallel to Queen's Road (on the site of Skene Road) which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Features of note at 26 Rubislaw Den South (which was built for John Bruce) include the unusually detailed architraves to the S elevation.
Other nearby listed buildings