This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1214 / 57°7'16"N
Longitude: -2.1256 / 2°7'32"W
OS Eastings: 392494
OS Northings: 803387
OS Grid: NJ924033
Mapcode National: GBR S7K.R0
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.B82J
Plus Code: 9C9V4VCF+GQ
Entry Name: Fountain House, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Garthdee Road, Fountain House
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356016
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20834
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Airyhall/Broomhill/Garthdee
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1830. Circular-section fountain house. Grey granite ashlar with machicolated coping. Conical roof of graded grey slates with ball finial at apex. Timber door.
The fountain house at Garthdee is a good, well-detailed example of its building type. It formed part of the City's second water scheme, overseen by the City's Chief Architect at the time, John Smith. The scheme played a significant role in the expansion of Aberdeen westward between 1830 and 1866. Two 50hp steam engines pumped water at a rate of 1000 gallons a minute to the cistern at what is now 478-484 Union Street (see separate listing).
The system helped to ameliorate outbreaks of cholera in the 1830s and 1840s. It was superseded in 1862-6 by the gravitational system extracting from the Dee at Cairnton. The fountain house subsequently served Richard and Company, Bleachfield.
The fountain house was formerly situated 200 yards to the SE with a 200-yard tunnel filtering water from the River Dee. It was restored and relocated to its present position in the 1990s.
List description revised, 2011.
Other nearby listed buildings