This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1265 / 57°7'35"N
Longitude: -2.1186 / 2°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 392919
OS Northings: 803961
OS Grid: NJ929039
Mapcode National: GBR S8K.K8
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.F4DK
Plus Code: 9C9V4VGJ+JH
Entry Name: 14-23 Riverside Manor, Riverside Drive, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 74 Riverside Drive, Former Park Hotel, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356017
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20835
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie and James Matthews, 1885. 2-storey, 3-bay, neo-Georgian villa on prominent corner site; later additions and alterations. Tooled grey granite ashlar with contrasting dressings and white granite entrance bay. Rough-faced base course; cill, dividing and eaves courses; long and short quoins and surrounds to openings; overhanging eaves.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; advanced central bay with piended roof, channelled at ground floor; pilastered doorpiece with depressed-arched doorway, 2-leaf panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight; canted oriel window at 1st floor above. Single window to ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right.
NE ELEVATION: single windows to ground and 1st floors of broad canted bay to left and to flanking bay to right. Single storey and attic, 3-bay granite service wing adjoining to right with harled 20th century additions to outer right, regular fenestration to ground floor, regularly placed gableted windows breaking eaves to attic floor.
NW ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by service wing and 20th century additions.
SW ELEVATION: single windows to ground and 1st floors of broad canted bay to right and to flanking bay to left. Single storey and attic, 3-bay granite service wing adjoining to left with harled 20th century additions to outer left, regular fenestration to ground floor, regularly placed gableted windows breaking eaves to attic floor.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof with lead ridges. Corniced granite ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 4 corniced gatepiers to street, with pyramidal caps; low coped rough-faced granite boundary wall to Riverside Drive; high rubble boundary walls elsewhere with rounded coping.
The former Park Hotel, like 59 Riverside Drive (see separate listing) is a survival from a wider scheme proposed by James Forbes Beattie in 1875 for a broad carriage drive next to the River Dee, lined with large villas. Originally known as Fordbank, this villa was designed for the great shipbuilder, William Hall, and built on the site of Ruthrieston Market. A later owner was Sir William Meff, who served the city as Councillor, Shoremaster Baillie, City Treasurer, Dean of Guild and finally as Lord Provost from 1919-1925. The former Park Hotel has now been converted to flats (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings