History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deeford, 59 Riverside Drive, Aberdeen

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.1289 / 57°7'43"N

Longitude: -2.1156 / 2°6'56"W

OS Eastings: 393102

OS Northings: 804224

OS Grid: NJ931042

Mapcode National: GBR S90.5B

Mapcode Global: WH9QX.G2TR

Plus Code: 9C9V4VHM+HQ

Entry Name: Deeford, 59 Riverside Drive, Aberdeen

Listing Name: 59 Riverside Drive, Deeford, Including Ancillary Structure, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 29 September 1999

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393807

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46482

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in


Late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay baronial gothic villa with later additions and alterations. Coursed tooled grey granite finely finished to margins. Base course; dividing band course; moulded modillion eaves cornice. Long and short quoins; chamfered reveals.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; square-plan engaged entrance tower to centre bay, 6 stone steps to round-arched decoratively moulded doorway with hoodmould, 2-leaf panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight; bipartite window to 1st floor, tripartite window with hoodmould to 2nd floor, single hoodmoulded window to right return; pyramidal roof with ironwork finial. Gabled flanking bay to left slightly advanced, tripartite window to ground floor, quadripartite window to 1st floor with hoodmould, pointed-arched window with hoodmould centred in gablehead of attic floor, decorative stone finial to apex. Recessed bay to right, bipartite window to ground floor, gableted tripartite window breaking eaves to 1st floor, with decorative stone finial to apex; rectangular oriel to outer right angle, piended roof with ironwork finial to apex.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; 2-bay; slightly advanced flue to centre through ground at 1st floors; regular fenestration to ground floor, single window to bay to right of 1st floor; oriel window to outer left angle, see above. 20th century additions and alterations adjoining to outer right.

NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; piend-roofed wing advanced to right; 20th century additions obscuring bays to left with modern fire escape; piend-roofed bipartite dormer to left of attic floor, flanked to right by fire escape door and 2-pane skylight.

SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; window to centre bay at ground floor, with bipartite window to 1st floor above; gabled bay flanking to right with decorative timber conservatory potting-shed to centre of ground floor with glazed panelled timber door, window to centre of 1st floor; bipartite window opening to ground floor of bay to left, with modern glazing, gableted window above breaking eaves, decorative stone finial to apex; rectangular bipartite dormer to centre of attic floor; 2-storey wing adjoining to outer left, window to ground floor, bipartite window to 1st floor.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Corniced stone skews with gableted skewputts. Decoratively corniced granite gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: stop-chamfered concrete gatepiers to NE of villa; coped coursed squared rough-faced granite walls to E, coursed granite wall to N, swept up to become flat-coped rubble wall to NW and S; brick coped rubble wall to W incorporating single storey and attic, coursed granite rubble ancillary structure, boarded timber door, timber sash and case windows, slate roof with lead ridge, wallhead stack to rear with octagonal cans.

Statement of Interest

59 Riverside Drive, like the former Park Hotel (see separate listing) is a survival from a wider scheme proposed by James Forbes Beattie in 1875 for a broad carriage drive next to the River Dee, lined with large villas. "Deeford" became a home for working lads in 1945, and is now a Church of Scotland Eventide home?

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.