This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8543 / 55°51'15"N
Longitude: -3.988 / 3°59'16"W
OS Eastings: 275650
OS Northings: 664131
OS Grid: NS756641
Mapcode National: GBR 00LR.D7
Mapcode Global: WH4QJ.Q34V
Plus Code: 9C7RV236+PR
Entry Name: 9 Dornoch Way, Airdrie
Listing Name: 5-11 (Odd Nos), 4 and 6 Dornoch Way, Former Cairnhill Stables
Listing Date: 4 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356133
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20927
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Craig, 1762, rebuilt 1979. Square-plan classical stables court. Screen wall flanking cylindrical dovecot with ogee roof to NW, single and 2-storey buildings to remaining sides. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble. Plain projecting margins to openings.
NW WALL: NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 7-bay. 2-stage, cylindrical tower to centre, door with oversized keystone to basket-arched lintel, blind oculus to 2nd stage, eaves course, projecting cornice blocking course with semicircular-arched flight-holes, slated ogee-domed roof terminating in lead flashing cap with weathervane. Slightly asymmetrical, 2-bay, abutted flanking walls. Segmentally-arched blind arcading articulated with blocked pilaster buttresses. Broad 2-storey pavilions to outer bays; projecting quoins, blind tripartite window to ground, Venetian window to 2nd storey, cornice, central pediment breaking eaves with wallhead stack to apex. SE (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: mirror to NW with grooves cut for earlier lean-to roof abutments.
COURTYARD: 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, hipped roof apartment blocks NE and SW incorporating pavilion elevations of screen wall to NW side elevation. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone cladding. Single storey equivalent to SE.
The stables originally belonged to Cairnhill House, a Georgian box of the same date also by Craig. Craig's house was remodelled in the Jacobean style by John Baird in 1841 and was itself demolished in 1991 leaving the stable block standing alone amidst a modern housing development. John Craig was a successful Glasgow merchant and architecture enthusiast. He carried out very few actual commissions but these included a similar stable court at Drumpellier House also in Lanarkshire which was reproduced from Craig's drawings at Newhailes, East Lothian.
Other nearby listed buildings