This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1149 / 56°6'53"N
Longitude: -3.7919 / 3°47'31"W
OS Eastings: 288673
OS Northings: 692796
OS Grid: NS886927
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.LL32
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.QKHL
Plus Code: 9C8R4675+X6
Entry Name: Hope The Bakers, 6-10 Mar Street, Alloa
Listing Name: 6-10 (Even Nos) Mar Street, Hope Bakers, with Ovens
Listing Date: 1 July 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356244
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21030
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Circa 1830, 2-storey commercial premises with 6-bay pilastered shopfront at ground and 3-bay residential accommodation above, in terraced street, with early 19th century baking oven to rear.
Rendered, squared and coursed stone. Painted shopfront. Base course, continuous fascia and cornice.
MAR STREET ELEVATION: shopfront originally mirrored about centre with doorways in penultimate bays flanked by windows, door to right with part-glazed, 2-leaf inner door, flanked by large plate glass windows; door to left blinded and former large window openings part blocked
with smaller windows. 3 regularly disposed windows at 1st floor. 12-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof; single cast-iron rooflight: coped skews; stone stack to left mutual gable,
removed to right.
INTERIOR: circa 1820 property with plaster cornices and window shutters surviving.
OVENS: probably early 19th century brick oven to rear pre-dating shopfront block, formerly approached by vennel (evident in Wood's plan, 1825), still in use in 1994; painted brick externally with cast-iron door plate to stoking section and large rectangular embrasured opening to oven (apparently altered from original). 2nd over steam-powered, circa 1840, in back courtyard glazed over at this date.
Fascia declaring the establishment of Hope bakers in 1810 (as at date of listing). The survival of the brick oven is particularly interesting: it may well be the oldest oven still in use (1994) in Britain. The pilastered shopfront, 12-pane timber windows and unbroken roofline are themselves meritorious.
Other nearby listed buildings