This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.115 / 56°6'54"N
Longitude: -3.7927 / 3°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 288627
OS Northings: 692809
OS Grid: NS886928
Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LRX8
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.QK4J
Plus Code: 9C8R4684+2W
Entry Name: Employment Exchange, 17 Mar Street, Alloa
Listing Name: 17 Mar Street, Job Centre (Former Co-Operative Society Headquarters)
Listing Date: 7 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397497
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49859
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
William Kerr of John Melvin and Son, 1931-2. 5-bay 2 storey plus attic rectangular-plan symmetrical classical commercial building (now a Jobcentre) with central arched window breaking eaves. Stripped Baroque detailing. Red Dumfriesshire sandstone. Smooth ashlar front elevation and squared stugged rubble to side elevations. Base course. Balustrade to centre of parapet. Flush cills. Long low central hall to rear.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 3 bays advance slightly, with channelled quoins. Advanced entrance bay with fluted pilasters. Timber panelled 2-leaf door and glazed inner door in plain roll-moulded opening. Modern signage (Jobcentre) and date stones (1862, 1932). Above this a central window with scrolled apron. Alloa Co-operative Society arms to wallhead. Central round-headed dormer breaking eaves with semicircular pediment on Doric columns and decorative wrought iron railings. Recessed balustrade to central bays with square urn finials. Carved relief panels depicting cornucopia to end bays. Stepped parapet.
NW ELEVATION (MAIN BLOCK): regular fenestration to left. Single door to lower right with large mullioned and transomed stair window over. Central round-headed window to attic level with bracketed balcony and decorative railings.
SE ELEVATION: 2 bays with central round-headed window to attic level with bracketed balcony and decorative railings.
False relieving arches over ground floor windows.
REAR HALL BLOCK: single storey. Cement-rendered. Glazed pitched roof central hall with flanking flat-roofed office ranges. Large 10 and 12-pane timber windows to rear. Modern glazing in horizontal openings to sides.
INTERIOR: oak-panelled entrance hall with classical details. Upstairs, vaulted corridor with timber door surrounds and Diocletian fanlights. Oak-panelled boardroom. Hall to rear has a concrete truss roof with rooflights to pitches.
Predominately timber sash and case windows. 24-pane to first floor and 16-pane to ground floor on front elevation. Leaded timber casement window to rear of main block. Grey slate roof, stone skews. Corner stack on SE elevation. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar boundary wall with fluted copes. Drum gatepiers capped with a stone ball. Cast-iron railings with spear-head finials.
This is a good example of the varied work of this well-known provincial practice. The main block combines a number of styles to make a successful whole. For example, baroque detailing sits easily above a fully modern entrance and a mullioned and transomed stair window is used on the side elevation. . The building exhibits the considerable attention paid to detail by the practice and there is some fine stonework. Much of the interior is intact in the main block. The building also makes a valuable contribution to the varied streetscape of Mar St.
William Kerr (1866-1940) appears to have been responsible for this design. Kerr is well-known for his series of public buildings and villas throughout Clackmannanshire and used the full range of available styles in his work. Among these are the Alloa Gas Showrooms (1935-8), The Gean (1912-14), Kilncraigs office and warehouse blocks (1904) and (1936) and the Liberal Club, next door at 13-15 Mar St. (1904)
(All separately listed).
The building was built as the headquarters of the Alloa Co-operative Society (founded 1862) and was for a long time the district library before being adapted for its present use.
Other nearby listed buildings