This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2974 / 56°17'50"N
Longitude: -3.701 / 3°42'3"W
OS Eastings: 294832
OS Northings: 712966
OS Grid: NN948129
Mapcode National: GBR 1N.78HG
Mapcode Global: WH5PH.3ZX6
Plus Code: 9C8R77WX+XJ
Entry Name: Barony Parish Church, 24 High Street, Auchterarder
Listing Name: Barony Parish Church, High Street.
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356613
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21342
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathallan
Traditional County: Perthshire
Designed by the Glasgow-based practice of Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh, this church of 1904 replaced an earlier parish church, which was located on another site and had fallen into a poor condition.
By 1904, Charles Rennie Mackintosh had been made a partner in the firm, however there is no stylistic or documentary evidence to suggest that Mackintosh was involved in the design of the church. As John Keppie attended the ceremony for the laying of the foundation stone and the style of the internal furniture indicates that it was likely his work. (Mackintosh Architecture)
Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.
Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.
Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.
Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.
Listed building record revised in 2019.
Other nearby listed buildings