This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4614 / 55°27'40"N
Longitude: -4.6315 / 4°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 233715
OS Northings: 621763
OS Grid: NS337217
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXXB
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.TZPM
Plus Code: 9C7QF969+H9
Entry Name: Gaiety Theatre, Carrick Street, Ayr
Listing Name: Carrick Street, Gaiety Theatre
Listing Date: 8 December 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356850
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21522
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
J McHardy Young, 1902 with later work following fires in 1903 and 1955. 3-bay theatre with modern addition to outer left. Cream tile work and painted harl. Base course; cornice to tile work; cornice (to bay to left), cornice and parapet to central bay and bay to right.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central projecting bay rises to stepped block-pediment; 2-pairs of glazed doors at ground floor; 2 single windows flanking illuminated oriel advertisement; cornice; stepped block-pediment rises through roofline. Bipartite windows to all floors to right of bay to left, additional windows to left at ground and 1st floor; large modern addition to outer left (see Notes). Small openings to left to bay to right at ground, 1st and 2nd floors, additional windows to right at 2nd and 3rd floors; fascias to right at ground and 1st floor.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Roof (unseen 1998).
INTERIOR: Rococo interior rebuilt by Alex Cullen, Lochhead and Brown in 1903-4 after fire; further alterations after 1955 fire. Pilastered bowed boxes; broken segmental pediments; cartouches within. Elaborate fascias; latticework; cartouches flanked by figures and foliage work.
The Gaiety Theatre replaced the Caledonian Theatre, which opened in a wooden building in Carrick Street in 1895. The Gaiety Theatre, as noted by The Builder, was partially burned on 4th August 1903 and the building reconstructed, including heightening by 11ft. The building was rebuilt again following another fire on 2 August 1955. The extensive modern addition to the left was opened in 1995. Alongside its distinctive 1930s exterior, (the cream tile work replaced the original brick exterior) the theatre is especially notable for its fine decorative Rococo interior.