This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.464 / 55°27'50"N
Longitude: -4.635 / 4°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 233508
OS Northings: 622065
OS Grid: NS335220
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XWYZ
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SX1L
Plus Code: 9C7QF978+J2
Entry Name: 13 Fort Street, Ayr
Listing Name: Fort Street, Former Cathcart Church Including Archway, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356956
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21583
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
David Hamilton, 1807-10, with later alterations including J and H V Eaglesham, 1900. 2-storey, 5-bay classical near rectangular-plan former church. Painted ashlar; harl and coursed sandstone. Base course; 1st floor cill course; eaves course; blocking course; mutuled pediment cornice. Pilasters divide bays.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 square-headed, corniced entrances to central bays; 2-leaf glazed timber doors; stained glass fanlights; single windows aligned above at 1st floor. Blind outer bays; recessed panels.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Advanced painted bay to outer left; single arched keyblocked window; apron; panel aligned above; blocking course to cornice. 4 single arched windows at ground and 1st floor to remaining bays. Lower height section to rear.
Predominantly stained and painted glass windows (some replaced due to vandalism). Grey slate piend roof.
INTERIOR: converted to dance studio by J & JA Carrick, 1984. Coffered and coved ceilings; detailed carving to column capitals; timber 1st floor; timber pews; patera frieze; dentilled cornice; shallow coffer ceiling; polished ashlar keyblocked arch; putti; keyblocked circular openings to flanking bays.
ARCHWAY, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 20th century block-pedimented, keyblocked corniced entrance arch, "1816 Cathcart Church 1929" inscribed on block-pediment by William Cowie; 2-leaf Art Nouveau iron gates and sidelights; flanking square-plan stone gatepiers; stone gatepiers to vehicular entrance to outer right, iron gates. Coped boundary wall with railings surmounting, enclose site.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. The New Church built at a cost of £5703, had seating for 880 worshippers and was so-called because built as an extension to the Auld Kirk, which could not cope with its growing number of members. Despite numerous internal alterations, the church retains much of its architectural detailing both externally and internally. Of particular note, are the internal ceiling decoration and the column capital detailing, along with the good quality stained glass work. Gateway by William Cowie moved from former Relief Church, Cathcart Street.