History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

George Street, Former Morrison Congregational Church Including Gate and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4656 / 55°27'56"N

Longitude: -4.6258 / 4°37'32"W

OS Eastings: 234095

OS Northings: 622219

OS Grid: NS340222

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XRH2

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.XWDC

Entry Name: George Street, Former Morrison Congregational Church Including Gate and Railings

Listing Date: 10 January 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 356968

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21590

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

1779; additions and internal alterations JA Morris, 1901. 2-storey, 4-bay (with 1901 single bay to left), rectangular-plan former church in severe classical style. Harled.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber door to recessed single 1901 bay to left; broken segmental pediment over; projecting lamp fitting; small single window to left; fanlight opening at 1st floor; 2 round-arched openings to slightly advanced central gabled bay, moulded notice plaque within; single windows flanking to outer right and left at ground and gallery levels.

E (LIMONDS WYND) ELEVATION: 2 single windows to main building; square-headed entrance and flanking single windows to single storey piend-roofed 1901 section to outer right.

N AND W ELEVATIONS: not seen 1999.

Boarded window openings. Slate piend roof with platform; harled wallhead stack; circular can. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

GATE AND RAILINGS: ornate 2-leaf art nouveau gate with railings to S elevation.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Good example of late 18th century church architecture, enlivened by the Art Nouveau additions of James Morris. Alongside architectural work, including that in Savoy Croft and Racecourse Road, Morris wrote the books "The Brig of Ayr and Something of its Story" in 1912 and "The Auld Toon O'Ayr" in 1928, both published by the Ayr publishers Stephen and Pollock, extolling the town's architectural highlights.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.