This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4647 / 55°27'52"N
Longitude: -4.6261 / 4°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 234070
OS Northings: 622119
OS Grid: NS340221
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XZ92
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.XX72
Plus Code: 9C7QF97F+VG
Entry Name: St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, 23 John Street, Ayr
Listing Name: 23 John Street, St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church and Graveyard Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357033
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21647
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James Dempster, dated 1826 (to rear); transepts and sanctuary added by D Sturrock, 1893. Painted ashlar entrance elevation; rubble to sides and rear. Base course.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central roll-moulded arched entrance; crocketted ogee hoodmould rising to stylised finial; head label-stops; 2-leaf timber door; small-paned fanlight; arched 3-light traceried window over; head label-stops to hoodmould. Octagonal flanking crenellated buttresses; pierced 2-light parapet linking over gable. 2-light arched aisle windows; head label-stops to hoodmoulds over. Diagonal angle buttresses flanking; rising to finialled crocketted pinnacles; crenellated raking links to central bay.
Stained and leaded windows. Slate roof; corniced stack to rear; polygonal can.
INTERIOR: timber pews, gallery (housing organ) and dado panelling; Christ on the Cross to sanctuary flanked by stained glass windows; Stations of the Cross to nave. Banded ceilings to side-chapels; timber altars and reredos; traceried roundel windows behind set within arch.
GRAVEYARD: to NE of church; predominantly headstone graves.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped boundary wall enclosing graveyard.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. James Dempster, as described by Colvin was listed as Greenock's only architect in Pigot's Directory of 1825-6. An impressive Decorated Gothic church, influenced by the work of J Gillespie Graham, notable for its distinctive crocketted finials and buttresses rising above the roofline. Modern church hall to right of site.
Other nearby listed buildings