This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4636 / 55°27'48"N
Longitude: -4.6249 / 4°37'29"W
OS Eastings: 234141
OS Northings: 621990
OS Grid: NS341219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XZMT
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.XXTY
Plus Code: 9C7QF97G+C2
Entry Name: Wallacetown Parish Church, John Street, Ayr
Listing Name: John Street, Wallacetown Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Church Hall, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357034
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21648
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Kay, dated 1834 (to rear, opened 1836); renovations 1950. 5-bay, T-plan Tudor Gothic church with hall to rear; later extruded corners to nave and transept angles. Ashlar to SW elevation; rubble to SE; render to NE elevation; brick to NW elevation. Base course; crenellated blocking course to transepts and nave.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central roll-moulded 4-centred arched entrance; 2-leaf timber door; dentilled cornice; small-pane fanlight; 3-light traceried window above; flanking tall octagonal buttresses, crenellated at apex. Flanking 2-light tracery windows flanked by diagonal angle buttresses. Single windows (with cill course) to later extruded corners; motif above breaks roofline and forms shallow segment.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 8-bay, grouped 1-2-5. 2 traceried windows to central gable; plaque above reads "Restored 1950"; flanking diagonal angle buttresses. Single window (with cill course) to later extruded corner to outer left. 5-bay section to outer right (dividing band course); 2-leaf timber door in shouldered doorframe to recessed bay to left; split letterbox fanlight; single window aligned above at 1st floor; alternating bays of single and 2-light regular fenestration to remaining bays; deep blocking course.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 traceried windows to central gable; plaque above; flanking diagonal angle buttresses. Single window (with cill course) to later extruded corner to outer right (small additional window below). Brick section to later extension (2-leaf timber door, letterbox fanlight and opening to right to re-entrant angle).
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: blank elevation.
INTERIOR: central timber pulpit; organ behind; dentilled timber screen; timber altar, font, lectern and choir furniture; pierced timber panelling to choir surround with pyramidal corner angles; dentilled dado panelling to upper galleries; timber pews; timber and carpetted floor; flat-roofed ceiling with plain and decorative moulded roundels. Timber floors, skylights and proscenium to church hall.
Leaded and stained glass windows. Slate roof; stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: polygonal-plan stone gatepiers to central entrance and at intervals; 2-leaf iron gate to central entrance; single iron gate to SE elevation; railings atop boundary wall to SW and SE elevation (in part); higher coped boundary wall to SE elevation.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Rob Close notes that the church is similar to St Augustine's Gateway, Canterbury, Kent, with a Tudor gloss. The twin towers were reduced in height in 1949. Modern brick church hall to left, accompanies earlier church hall to rear.
Other nearby listed buildings