This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4658 / 55°27'56"N
Longitude: -4.6311 / 4°37'52"W
OS Eastings: 233760
OS Northings: 622256
OS Grid: NS337222
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XQ9J
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.TWW6
Entry Name: Main Street and North Harbour Street, Former Darlington Place Church Including Hall, Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357045
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21658
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr North
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Clarke and Bell, 1860, additions John Arthur 1897. 3-bay, gabled, rectangular-plan church with turreted SE angle tower and hall to rear. Coursed, squared sandstone. Lancet windows.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central advanced gabled entrance porch; shafted and moulded recess to central bay; trumeau divides 2 single timber doors; decorative cusped work above; 1860 to gablehead; flanking lancet panels. 5-light stepped lancet window above; Y-tracery, cuspwork and quatre-foils; small opening to gablehead; cross finial; splayed bases to clasped corner buttresses; truncated pinnacles. Recessed gallery stair window to right; Y-tracery, cuspwork and quatre-foils; cross finial at apex; buttress and truncated pinnacle to outer right. Corbelled angled turret stair tower to outer left; lancet and quatre-foil openings; finial to apex.
SW (NORTH HARBOUR STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay, grouped 2-5-1. 3-light window to advanced gabled hall to outer left; cusped, architraved infilled trefoil opening to gable; timber door to basement below; single timber door to trefoil-headed entrance to right. Cusped bipartite windows at ground to central 3 bays of 5-bay section; Y-tracery and cusping to gallery windows aligned above, breaking roofline to form gablets; hood-moulded squat tripartite windows at ground to outer bays; tall traceried gallery windows aligned above; small oval openings to gableheads; truncated pinnacles flanking; finials to gableheads (rising from buttress to outer right). Tower to outer right (see above).
Leaded windows. Grey slate roof (banded fish-scale work to tower); stone skews.
INTERIOR: converted to theatre, 1986. Curved, gilded staircases to entrance porch; leaded glazed timber doors. Coved ceiling; roll-moulded arcading; decorative gilded column capitals. Library fittings from Nitshill Lending Library.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan gatepiers to entrance; 2-leaf iron gate to SE elevation, single iron gate to SW elevation; railings surmount low coped boundary wall enclosing site.
No longer in ecclesiastical use (United Presbyterian), now the Borderline Theatre. Occupies a prominent siting at the N section of the New Bridge (see separate list description). Architects also designed Ayr Academy in Fort Street (see separate list description). Hall formerly used as classroom and session house.
Other nearby listed buildings