This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0467 / 57°2'47"N
Longitude: -3.0385 / 3°2'18"W
OS Eastings: 337091
OS Northings: 795544
OS Grid: NO370955
Mapcode National: GBR WF.B5DK
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.94CS
Plus Code: 9C9R2XW6+MJ
Entry Name: Deebank House, Dee Street, Ballater
Listing Name: Dee Street, Deebank House Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357275
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21843
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, Classical style villa with piended roof and 2 flat roof dormers on N elevation. Coursed, squared granite with predominantly pink granite dressings. Set within own garden, orientated towards River Dee. Ashlar base course and 1st storey string course. Broad modillioned eaves.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: S (Principle) Elevation: to garden. Central 4-panelled timber door with timber pilaster jambs and rectangular fanlight, set in granite pilastered and corniced doorcase. Flanking bays.
W (street) elevation: 2 windows to ground and 2 above. Flanking round arched openings with gate pier on outer aspect.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Wallhead stacks to E and W elevations. Cast iron rainwater pipes at corners.
INTERIOR: Original room plan largely extant. Good Victorian decorative scheme in place with some exceptionally fine decorative plasterwork in main public rooms. Includes number of decorative classical style timber chimneypieces, one with corresponding overmantel.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble with flat coping on SW aspect. Gentle sloping curve from gate pier on arched opening.
This is a good example of a little altered Classical style villa, set within its own grounds and with the principal entrance facing the River Dee. It is particularly distinguished by its internal plaster decoration. The land was purchased in 1858 by William Duiguid, a local builder from the Farquaharson Estate. The house is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1866) of Ballater and therefore must have been built sometime after the purchase of the land.
Other nearby listed buildings