History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27, 27a Castle Street

A Category C Listed Building in Banff, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6664 / 57°39'58"N

Longitude: -2.5239 / 2°31'26"W

OS Eastings: 368841

OS Northings: 864176

OS Grid: NJ688641

Mapcode National: GBR N84G.DG9

Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6KDQ

Entry Name: 27, 27a Castle Street

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357380

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21939

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Banff

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Banff

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Banff

Description

1820-30. 2-storey, 3-bay house with projecting 2-storey front porch of circa 1860 in style of J Duncan, Turriff. Squared rubble, ashlar margins and dressings. Substantial rectangular porch with canted angles and long front stair, doorways in N and S return gables and long front margined stairwindow. Entrance in S bay leads to staircase serving lst floor flat (27A), doorway in N face leads to no 27. Broad wallhead eaves-band to porch with moulded eaves cornice decorated in centre with raised and shaped foliated scrolled ornamentation.

Longer windows in lst floor; timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing front and also to most rear windows. 1970-80 rear doorway to lst floor flat served by cast-iron staircase. Coped end stacks; slate roof.

INTERIOR: Curved stair to lst floor; hall cupboard masks former centre door to original 2-storey house.

Statement of Interest

By 1870 the lst floor of the 1820-30 house had been gutted to serve as the Wesleyan Methodist church and front entrance/staircase added for access. The congregation, established in l777 in Banff, constructed a new church in Seafield Street (see listing description) in 1878. By circa l970 'Church of Christ' was inscribed in stained glass front window (pane now removed) when the upper premises were converted as a flat (No 27A) by father of present occupant.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.