This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6637 / 57°39'49"N
Longitude: -2.5229 / 2°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 368901
OS Northings: 863873
OS Grid: NJ689638
Mapcode National: GBR N84G.LXQ
Mapcode Global: WH8LW.6MWT
Entry Name: High Street, St Brandon's and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357476
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22027
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1790, with subsequent additions and alterations. S single window bay probably early l9th century; advanced 3-storey baronial tower in style of James Matthews, dated 1867, fronts High Street elevation. Tall 3-storeys over raised basement on sloping site, 3 wide bays. Random rubble (originally harled), tooled ashlar margins and dressings.
HIGH STREET (W) FRONTAGE: dominant 1867 square tower block with chamfered angles; segmental-headed entry in ground floor, long segmental headed lst floor window with cast-iron balcony; similar 2nd floor window breaks wallhead under crowstepped and finialled gable, also fronted by cast-iron balcony. Crowstepped gables, coped end stacks.
Outer fenestrated bays of l790 block revealed to rear of tower; at S slightly set back early l9th century single bay wing, pierced at base by segmental-headed pend arch (l969-71) leading to garden.
GARDEN FRONT: wide 3-bay frontage with wide l9th century, 3-window advanced bowed bay (absorbing outer and centre bay of l790 house) fronting raised ground, ground and lst floor and serving as balcony to 2nd floor wide centre lunette. Additional garden door to raised basement. Multi-pane glazing throughout in timber sash and case windows except for 4-pane ground and lst floor windows in garden front bowed bay; margined coped stacks to main block, corniced end stacks to l867 addition. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: divided as 4 flats, l969-71. Raised and fielded panelled window shutters survive in some windows. Fine late l8th century carved wood chimneypiece in ground floor drawingroom.
GARDEN WALLS: high rubble walls enclose garden.
Sir George Abercromby of Glassaugh bought the property in l790 from Miss Helen Duff, apparently constructing the house that year for winter occupation. The site was that of the town residence of the Lairds (Baird) of Auchmedden. The baronial front addition was added for Colonel J Dixon, whose monogram is carved on the front gable. St Brandon's and St Brandon's Close purchased and converted as flats by J J Meldrum, l969-71.
Other nearby listed buildings