History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burgh Court Hall, 128 Main Street

A Category C Listed Building in Barrhead, East Renfrewshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8002 / 55°48'0"N

Longitude: -4.3908 / 4°23'26"W

OS Eastings: 250233

OS Northings: 658907

OS Grid: NS502589

Mapcode National: GBR 3L.7QXN

Mapcode Global: WH3PD.JGCW

Plus Code: 9C7QRJ25+3M

Entry Name: Burgh Court Hall, 128 Main Street

Listing Name: 128 Main Street, Burgh Court Hall

Listing Date: 27 June 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357581

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22115

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Barrhead

County: East Renfrewshire

Town: Barrhead

Electoral Ward: Barrhead, Liboside and Uplawmoor

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Barrhead

Description

McWhannell and Rogerson, 1904. Free Scots Renaissance burgh building with prominent tower, crowstepped gable and figurative sculpture. Coursed bull-faced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to Main Street. Tall, engaged circular clock tower to R rising above roofline with fluted pilastered entrance at base; entablatured niche above with personification of Justice ('Justitia?); balconette (containing maquet of town crier) with pilastered surround and strapwork above; corbelled semi-circular balconette, gabletted and breaking eaves; flanking clock faces; further balconette to rear; conical roof. Four windows to ground; canted oriel above to L with headstopped roll-moulded surrounds; sculpted figure of Justice above; eagle to R at side of tower.

Timber sash and case plate glass windows (some leaded upper sashes). Grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; red tiles to conical roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

INTERIOR: not seen (2004).

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Burgh Chambers (separately listed). Barrhead was created a police burgh in 1894. The exuberant style of the Burgh Court and Chambers in distinctive red sandstone set the buildings apart from the other traditional buildings that survive in Main Street. Built as a pair with a lane between for access to the rear, the two buildings are linked by wrought-iron gates with thistle and lion rampant motifs.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.