This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8048 / 55°48'17"N
Longitude: -4.4019 / 4°24'6"W
OS Eastings: 249553
OS Northings: 659445
OS Grid: NS495594
Mapcode National: GBR 3L.78DQ
Mapcode Global: WH3PD.CC2B
Plus Code: 9C7QRH3X+W6
Entry Name: Fereneze Golf Club House, Fereneze Avenue, Barrhead
Listing Name: Fereneze Avenue, Fereneze Golf Clubhouse, (Formerly the Trees)
Listing Date: 27 June 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357587
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22122
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Renfrewshire
Electoral Ward: Barrhead, Liboside and Uplawmoor
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Circa 1765. 3-storey, 3-bay symmetrical roughly T-plan Classical house with distinctive castellated parapet to predominantly 2-storey rear section; later 20th century flat-roofed extension to NE (now golf clubhouse, 2013). Painted render with contrasting painted margins. Raised margins. Base course, eaves course; overhanging eaves. Central 3-storey section to rear with further 2-storey section. Later 2-storey adjoining extension to W.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central Doric doorpiece with non-traditional part-glazed entrance door with fanlight above. Flanking window openings; that to left enlarged.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2013). Largely altered internally to provide club accommodation. Later timber panelling.
Predominantly 6-over 6-pane timber sash and case windows; some plate glass timber sash and case windows to S. Piended-roof to main building; flat-roof to rear section. Grey slates. Corniced wallhead stacks with hexagonal stone cans and decorative pots.
This distinctive late 18th century house which has been adapted to form a golf clubhouse. The exterior of the original house has undergone little alteration and retains its original largely symmetrical form. The detailing to the front elevation is typically classical with a Doric doorpiece and symmetrical windows and chimney stacks. The building sits on high ground, overlooking the town of Barrhead.
Fenereze Golf Club was opened in 1905. The initial club pavilion, which had been purpose-built soon became too small for the members and the committee began to look for larger premises. The current clubhouse, which had been a private home came onto the market in 1921 and the club had bought it by 1922. A number of alterations took place over the course of the 20th century to accommodate the members.
Initially called The Trees, the house sits on rising ground, facing south. A timber veranda was added to the south elevation of the property in the 1830s and is visible in outline on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1863-4. This is no longer extant. The castellated parapet extended originally around the whole of the property, but was taken down at the main house in 1939 after a fire and not replaced. The house was built for Mr William Findlay, but the architect is not yet known.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings