This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9128 / 55°54'46"N
Longitude: -4.3243 / 4°19'27"W
OS Eastings: 254823
OS Northings: 671301
OS Grid: NS548713
Mapcode National: GBR 040.H4
Mapcode Global: WH3NV.KN10
Plus Code: 9C7QWM7G+47
Entry Name: 22 Drymen Road, Bearsden
Listing Name: Drymen Road, 22 Carrick Arden
Listing Date: 17 January 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357611
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22146
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bearsden South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Circa 1855 with later additions to rear. Sophisticated 2-storey villa, asymmetrical composition, Free Italian with mixed Renaissance and Romanesque motifs. South and west fronts polished ashlar. South elevation has advanced gable to left with shallow rectangular tripartite bay, pilastered with bracketted wooden cornice at entablature. First floor arched bipartite with columnar mullion and circled tracery under inband and outband voussoirs. Painted wooden portico to right, 2 bays shouldered lintels coupled columns, and bracketted cornice with elegant iron balustrade over. Shouldered openings within, door with fanlight, and stained glass window with corbelled sill to right; first floor shouldered window in moulded architrave to left and arched window with bracketted canopied held above eaves on right. Single-storey ashlar kitchen wing to right, with 2 niches. West elevation similar but with canted bay to left and conservatory to right, semi-octagonal with arch headed lights and domical roof with clerestorey. North elevation plain snecked rubble, stepped building and roof lines, similar canted bay at central section. Later glazed passage with 3 raised gablets from bay to billiard room at north east corner. Low pitched slated roof, with broad boarded eaves and pendants, piended at back. Corniced shaped ashlar stacks with original chimney pots. Single-storey billiard room to north, with tripartites on east and west sides, flattish slated roof with wide over-hang and boarded eaves.
Good interior with painted arabesque (partly stencilled) drawing room ceiling (dining room formerly similarly treated) and elaborate plasterwork. Morning room partly panelled with built-in fittings.
Dated envelope 1857 found in chimney flue. Built by Mr John Henderson, ship owner - see monogram in internal stained glass window. Walled garden north wall and part of green house survives. Brick offices on north side of wall with oarde sadlery room etc.
Other nearby listed buildings