History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Providence Brae, Bo'Ness

A Category B Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0162 / 56°0'58"N

Longitude: -3.6085 / 3°36'30"W

OS Eastings: 299821

OS Northings: 681529

OS Grid: NS998815

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ68

Mapcode Global: WH5R2.J1WR

Plus Code: 9C8R298R+FH

Entry Name: St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Providence Brae, Bo'Ness

Listing Name: Providence Brae, Former St Mary's Roman Catholic Church Including Boundary Wall and Gatepier

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357944

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22386

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Town: Bo'Ness

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Boʼness

Description

1796, Nisbet of Edinburgh mason; galleries inserted 1837, W porch 19th century. Simple rectangular-plan Burgher church. Rubble with ashlar dressings and quoin strips. Band course. Pointed-arch openings. Stone mullions.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: centre bay with small window in lean-to stone porch with door on return to right; Venetian-style window with pointed-arch centre light to centre above and stone cross gablehead finial.

N ELEVATION: 2 large regularly-disposed windows and further small window to outer left.

E ELEVATION: Venetian-style window as above.

S (LIBERAL HALL) ELEVATION: altered elevation almost adjoining Liberal Hall, with elements including 2 large Y-traceried windows to centre and 2 smaller vertically-aligned windows to left.

All openings blocked or unglazed. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER: low coped rubble boundary wall and flat-coped square-section gatepier.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Disused 1979 and in poor condition at resurvey (2003). Built by Burghers at a cost of about £500, the building was subsequently used as a Roman Catholic Church until 1959. The Liberal Hall is listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.