History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

24 South Street, Bo'Ness

A Category C Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0171 / 56°1'1"N

Longitude: -3.6089 / 3°36'31"W

OS Eastings: 299801

OS Northings: 681627

OS Grid: NS998816

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ22

Mapcode Global: WH5R2.J1P2

Plus Code: 9C8R298R+RC

Entry Name: 24 South Street, Bo'Ness

Listing Name: 24 - 32 (Even Nos) South Street

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397318

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49718

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Town: Bo'Ness

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Bo ľness


John Taylor, dated 1934. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan terrace of small shops closing irregular terrace to W. Ashlar dividing piers and dressings; lined render. Frieze/fascia and eaves cornice rising into stepped and pedimented blocking course at centre.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with in-canted 2-leaf part-glazed timber door, 3-part fanlight and tiled doorstep flanked by fixed display windows with multi-pane top-lights and surmounted by painted fascia and flanking stylised capitals giving way to blocking course with relief carved panel worded 'ANDERSON BEQUEST' surmounted by semicircular pediment with small carved panel. Shop in penultimate bay to left with in-canted part-glazed timber door and 2-part fanlight to right and fixed display window with multi-pane top-lights to left, this mirrored by shop to outer left; bays to right mirror those to left.

E ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation, rendered and lined.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation.

Fixed display windows. Graded grey slates. Harled stacks with cans to rear.

INTERIOR: No 28 retains timber panelling and etched glass to display window access.

Statement of Interest

Unusual retention of original shopfronts combined with some interior detail raise this short terrace of shops above the margin for listing. One of a number of 'Anderson Bequest' buildings in the town funded by the legacy of ship owner and banker John Anderson (1794 - 1870). In 1859 the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton were entertained aboard one of Anderson's Greenland whalers berthed in the harbour. Known locally as 'the King of Boness', he also funded the town's first secondary school.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.